Collaborator: Shanika | Orchids + Sweet Tea
This Cajun Sweet Potato Pasta is the epitome of comfort and is a great creamy pasta much like the classic Alfredo version, but without the dairy and cheese (all Vegan), completely loaded with bold Cajun and sweet potato flavors and of course with the amazing texture of Pappardelle noodles (made entirely from 100% Durum Wheat Semolina).
Cook Time: 20
Prep Time: 10
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups Califia Farms Original Almondmilk + 2 Tablespoons (if needed)
- 1 (16 oz.) package Pappardelle pasta (You can substitute w/ your own favorite pasta)
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic vegetable stock
- 4 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt + black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon white cooking wine
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potato puree
Homemade Cajun Seasoning:
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- Dried parsley
- Cajun Seasoning
- Your favorite nuts
- To begin, cook pasta according to packaging. NOTE: Pappardelle pasta doesn’t take a long time to cook, usually 8-10 minutes (however, you should cook at 6-8 minutes or so—‘al dente’).
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, heat the olive oil and add in the garlic and sauté until soft and translucent, about 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the flour, whisking constantly until well combined and everything looks like paste.
- Slowly add in the Almondmilk, continuing to whisk as it thickens to avoid any lumps. Once fully smooth, add in the veggie stock along with the following: 1 Tablespoon Cajun seasoning, nutritional yeast, pinch of cinnamon, sea salt, black pepper, white cooking wine, and sweet potato puree. Continue to whisk until full combined and the sauce looks extremely smooth and begins to thicken a little more. If sauce is too thick to drip from the back of spoon or whisk, add additional Almondmilk (2 Tablespoons).
- Let simmer (while stirring with a wooden spoon) for another 3-4 minutes.
- When the pasta is done, drain it and add it to the sauce, stirring (using metal tongs for the greatest ease) until sauce fully coats + sticks to pasta. Remove from heat and serve with your favorite side.
- Sprinkle top with dried parsley, additional Cajun seasoning, or your favorite nuts, if desired. Enjoy!