This Creamed Spinach is an easy, delicious holiday dish that comes together in 20 minutes! Packed with flavor (especially if you go heavy on the pepper flakes), this dairy-free and vegan version of the classic side is sure to be a crowd-favourite.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons plant butter
- 2 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cup Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Beverage
- ¼ cup Califia Farms Unsweetened Better Half
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch red pepper flakes (more to taste)
- Bring a large, deep skillet to medium-high heat. In batches, saute spinach until it is wilted and soft. Place cooked spinach in a colander to drain; set aside.
- In the same pan, add butter and let it melt.
- Add flour to the pan and use a whisk to combine it with the melted butter until it reaches the consistency of a paste.
- While continuing to whisk, slowly add in Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Beverage and Califia Farms Unsweetened Better Half.
- Keep whisking the mixture until it is thick and creamy. If you feel it isn’t thickening, turn up the heat so it is simmering, while continuing to whisk.
- Add in salt and spices; mix to combine.
- Remove from heat and add spinach back in; stir to combine.
- Serve immediately with extra red pepper flakes. Enjoy!