This Lemon Poppyseed Loaf Cake is the perfect recipe for spring baking! Full of bursting lemony flavor, a dense and moist texture, and a sweet-tart flavor combo, the oven does most of the work here. Save this crowd favourite for your next Sunday baking activity.
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
For the cake:
- 1 cup Califia Farms Original Better Half
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 ½ tablespoons poppy seeds
For the glaze:
- 1 tablespoon Califia Farms Original Better Half
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- Poppy seeds, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Lightly grease the paper using vegan butter or coconut oil.
- In a bowl, add the Califia Farms Original Better Half and lemon juice, stirring it together and letting the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes or until it slightly thickens.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, sugar, lemon zest, and sea salt and whisk until combined.
- Stir in the lemon-milk mixture and melted butter, mixing until combined and the batter become thick and smooth. Be cautious not to over-mix. Fold in the poppy seeds.
- Pour batter in the prepared loaf pan (evenly spreading it out) and add a few cranberries on top if you'd like.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife that is inserted in the middle comes out clean. About halfway through the bake time, we like to poke very small holes all over the bread to allow heat to penetrate through and to ensure it cooks evenly.
- Once done, remove cake from the oven and let it cool for 10-15 minutes before gently removing it from loaf pan to cool completely.
For the glaze:
- In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, Califia Farms Original Better Half, and freshly-squeezed lemon juice until smooth. Glaze should feel thick, but slowly slide off of a whisk when lifted. If the glaze is too thick, add 1 tablespoon of Vanilla Better Half; if too thin, add 1-2 tablespoons more of the powdered sugar.
- Once cooled, drizzle the glaze atop the cake, sprinkle with additional poppy seeds, slice and enjoy!